Monday, October 3, 2011

Anathema

 













When Evangeline meets Sofie after literally stumbling upon her café, she believes she’s found that connection. Willing to do anything to keep it, she accepts a job as Sofie’s assistant and drops everything to fly to Manhattan, where she is thrust into a luxurious world of Prada, diamonds, and limitless cash.


With such generosity and kindness, it’s easy for Evangeline to dismiss certain oddities . . . like Sofie’s erratic and sometimes violent behavior, and the monstrous guard dogs. She’s even willing to dismiss her vivid dreams of mob-style murders, beautiful homeless people living in caves, and white-eyed demons that haunt her each night as figments of her imagination—especially when one of those figments is the gorgeous Caden. When she wakes up with bite marks on her neck, the fairy tale quickly turns into a nightmare. She slowly unravels the mystery surrounding Sofie and friends, and the reality of the bites and the “dreams.” What she discovers is far more mysterious and terrible than anything she could have imagined.

In a world where everyone has motive to lie for personal gain, Evangeline must decide which deception is least likely to get her killed.



Wow.. this book! It seriously is in a league of its own right now. All the characters really came off the page for me, and the story is so unique you just can't put this book down. I absolutely connected with this book from page one. Not at all what I was expecting, and I'm honestly glad for it. It is a refreshing change in the supernatural/paranormal world.

Evangeline is so alone that she'll take any form of a relationship when she almost literally runs into Sofie. When Sofie takes to her so fast, she trusts and goes with it. This leads her to a world she's never even imagined, and it's fascinating to see how it works. There are twists and turns at every corner because she has no idea who to trust anymore. She doesn't know who's telling her the truth and who is just using her. She meets Caden and his posse, and they are a very dynamic group. Each member has his or her own personality, and each contributes (or detracts) in his/her own way. It's an interesting group to watch.

This novel is written extremely well, has very interesting and complex characters, and really takes a new look at the paranormal genre. It's paranormal and fantasy combined in a creative way. It's easy to follow, and it keeps you guessing until the end. The next book needs to come out soon!!

What I liked:

  • The writing. It was smooth and clear. It kept me interested and was never boring. I look forward to reading pretty much anything by this author!

  • The characters. Even though I could never really take some of them seriously, I still appreciated the secrets, the mystery, and the twists these characters had.

  • The story. It's so unique and original to me! I've never read anything quite like this, and the concept is fascinating. I didn't think it would be something I'd like, but I definitely ended up enjoying this one!



What I didn't like:


  • The cliffhanger. I need to know what happens! I won't spoil anything, but book 2 needs to come out soooooon!


Bottom Line: I. Need. The. Next. Book!! :o)
BIG thanks to the author for sending me a free ecopy of this book!


This Post Written By I'm A Book Shark

No comments:

Post a Comment