Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Great American Slow Cooker Book- Chicken Rogan Josh

I always find myself lucky to get anything to review. I am lucking if someone chooses me or to even have the opportunity to pick something. This time I got to choose this Great American Slow Cooker Book. I love to cook, and I love to use my crock pot!

Here is the recipe we tried:


Chicken Rogan Josh
A Middle Easter Type Of A Dish

1 3/4 Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Lg Yellow Onion Chopped
5 Tbsp Minced and Peeled Fresh Ginger
4 1/2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
2 tsp each fennel seed/Whole Clove/ Cumin Seed
1 tsp each Ground Turmeric/ Cayenne/ Cinnamon
4 1/2 pounds Chicken thighs
3 Tbsp Melted Butter
2 tsp Garam Masala

I found Garam Masala at Wal-Mart for under $2. I believe you can also substitute it with curry. You can make it at home if you have the following:

Ground Coriander 3 Tbsp
Ground Cinnamon 1 1/2 Tbsp
Ground Cumin 1 1/2 Tbsp
Ground Ginger 1 Tbsp
Ground Clove 1 tsp
Ground Fenugreek 1 tsp
Ground Black Pepper 1 tsp
Ground cardamom 3/4 tsp
Ground Tumeric 1/2 tsp

Instructions:
Stir the first 10 ingredients together in the crock pot. until the color is blended well. Toss chicken in butter and grama masala in a large enough bowl to coat completely. Place in crock pot, and make sure to pour remaining butter and seasoning over the chicken. Cover and cook 5 hr or until cooked on low.

Our Thoughts:
I thougth this was an other dish that I have had from an Indian resturalnt. This was sadly not it. It was not bad, it was just different. I would try it again, but with my kids and husband making faces I more then likely will not make this dish. It could be a factor or reasons. One I did not thaw my chicken. thought I do not think that was the cause. 

No comments:

Post a Comment