Monday, January 30, 2012

Interview With Mike Yorkey, co-author of Chasing Mona Lisa with Tricia Goyer




would like to thank MIKE YORKEY, for taking the time to site down and do an interview for us!


 Are there any characters that share similar traits or qualities with you?


Gabi Mueller, in her early twenties, is a Swiss-American (American father and Swiss mother), so she reminds me of our twenty-something daughter, Andrea, who has an American father and a Swiss mother.


If you could be any character in your book or another authors book, who would you pick and why?


It would be Ernst Mueller, Gabi’s father. He’s been living in Switzerland a long time, is working as an OSS agent for Allen Dulles in Switzerland, and is also a part-time.


What should readers expect from your books?


Action . . . not flowery descriptions of the sun in the sky or the lingering shadows. Also, I want every page to be interesting and full of detail.


When did you decide that you wanted to write?


I grew up wanting to become a sportswriter. I started writing for my local newspaper in La Jolla, California (near San Diego) when I was in high school. I loved that other people read my words.


What do you use for inspiration?


Other high-action novelists like Christopher Reich.


What was your first reaction upon learning that you were being published?


I’ve been very fortunate to have written or co-authored a lot of books . . . I’m near 80 books now. I enjoy reading the reader reviews, although some make me grind my.


Who is your favorite author and how does that person inspire you?


Right now it’s Christopher Reich but Ken Follett is someone that I greatly admire as well. They are good.


 Which authors do you find your style comparable to?


I’m hoping the pair of authors I just mentioned . . .


What background noise, if at all, do you have while writing (music, TV..)


It has to be quiet . . . I don’t work or write well when I have any noise or the TV on in the background. The hours can pass quickly when it’s quiet.


What is your favorite genre to read?


Actually, I enjoy reading biographies and books on a certain moment in history.  Autobiographies can be interesting as well. I like learning about people.


 Will you continue to write in the genre or do you think you will branch out? If you plan to branch out, to which genre(s)?


I don’t plan to branch out beyond historical fiction.


Do you prefer to writing series or stand-alone novels?


Stand-alone novels . . . I can think on only one book at a time.


How do you come up with names for your characters?


In Chasing Mona Lisa and The Swiss Courier, the Swiss names came from my wife’s high school friends and close relatives. True story.


What advice would you give to those who would someday like to get published?


Rewrite your chapter at least a half-dozen times . . .


 Have you taken writing classes or attended workshops?


Yes, but I got a degree in Journalism at the University of Oregon, and that helped.


 What is your educational background?


Graduated from the University of Oregon School of Journalism with a bachelor’s degree.


 Are you a marathon writer or do you work on your novels a little bit at a time?


Good question, but I would say bit-by-bit. That’s why it takes me so long to write


a novel . . . more than six months.


 As a writer, what are the essentials you just can’t live without?


An iMac computer . . .


 Are you a traditional pen and paper author, or do you prefer to do your drafts on a typewriter or computer?


I couldn't even begin to write longhand . . .


What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?


Going for walks on the beach with my wife, Nicole (we live in the San Diego area) and playing tennis.


 Is there anything else you would like to share with your readers?


You can find out a lot more about me by going to my website at www.mikeyorkey.com


 What is your motto?


Treat others as you would want to be treated.


Please share your favorite quote with us and what it means to you.


See above. The world sure would be a better place if everyone kept that thought in


the foreground.

No comments:

Post a Comment