Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

                                                                  There once was a girl who found herself dead.
She peered over the ledge of heaven
and saw that back on earth
her sister missed her too much,
was way too sad,
so she crossed some paths
that would not have crossed,
took some moments in her hand
shook them up
and spilled them like dice
over the living world.
It worked.
The boy with the guitar collided
with her sister.
"There you go, Len," she whispered. "The rest is up to you.”



Lennie plays second clarinet in the school orchestra and has always happily been second fiddle to her charismatic older sister, Bailey. Then Bailey dies suddenly, and Lennie is left at sea without her anchor. Overcome by emotion, Lennie soon finds herself torn between two boys: Bailey's boyfriend, Toby, and Joe, the charming and musically gifted new boy in town. While Toby can't see her without seeing Bailey and Joe sees her only for herself, each offers Lennie something she desperately needs. But ultimately, it's up to Lennie to find her own way toward what she really needs—without Bailey. A remarkable debut novel perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block.

My Review:


I recommend for everyone to read this book! I listened to the audiobook and found it fascinating! I loved the storyline!!!

This book was really poetic and I really enjoyed the written words at the beginning and end of the chapters. I was surprised that this was a debut novel since it was written wonderfully!

The realness of this story was what drew me to it. This could totally happen. The story was right on spot with how people react when they lose a loved one. The grief process is very confusing and your feelings are all out of whack, not to mention that you cannot even think straight.

My favorite character would have to be our leading lady Lennie aka John Lennon. She is great and able to make me laugh and cry in the same sentence.

The romance had butterflies dancing around in my stomach. I really felt horrible for Toby, but was madly in love with Joe...bat...bat...bat! He just seemed like the right choice for Lenny. All of the Fontane boys sounded very swoonworthy! I think that through Toby's grief, he just needed to feel something for someone else and the closest person was Lenny.

I really enjoyed listening to the audiobook version of this book. The narrator did a wonderful job with the different voices and actually had me chuckling several times. She also was able to get me teary eyed quite a few times!

This book is highly recommended for everyone and I just know you will love it as much as I did!
He murmurs into my hair, "Forget what I said earlier, let's stick with this, I might not survive anything more." I laugh. Then he jumps up, finds my wrists, and pins them over my head. "Yeah, right. Totally joking, I want to do everything with you, whenever you're ready, I'm the one, promise?" He's above me, batting and grinning like a total hooplehead.
"I promise," I say.
"Good. Glad that's decided." He raises an eyebrow. "I'm going to deflower you, John Lennon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment